BS Psychology Degree is a popular option at colleges and universities throughout the world.
At UMT, BS Psychology is a 4-year program that focuses on behavior of people in the perspective of social sciences. It introduces students to the fundamental principles of psychology, various fields within psychology and methods used in psychological research. As a field psychology studies areas as diverse as clinical behavior problems, child development, workplace violence, self-esteem, racial prejudice, memory, decision making, mental illness, cognition and effect of different drugs on the brain. Psychologists also learn to critically evaluate "common sense" knowledge about how people function. Education in psychology, by its subject matter and method of study, develops and promotes the following skills and insights in learners: mailto:email@example.com
- Critical & creative thinking skills
- One-on-one and small group communication
- Understanding of individual human behavior
- Knowledge of group and organizational behavior
The purpose of teaching Psychology in UMT includes; One, service to the discipline and profession, Two, promotion of the science of psychology through training of future generations in psychological science. Presently, there are 5 full time faculty members and other professionals associated with hospitals and research organizations who teach and supervise students. Lab facilities also exist here.
A collection of over 300 psychology books and electronic database of (Springer Link and Science Direct) research journals are among the vital resources available on campus. Junior students sign up for experiments and psych tests for experience.
Psychology Society UMT (PsychSoc) is the forum for informal discussion and interaction between faculty and students. Members of PsychSoc also interact through face book. The society aims at arranging co-curricular programs like inviting guest speakers, arranging seminars and discussion groups on subject and themes of psychology as well as extra-curricular activities through the student leadership.
Scope & Career Opportunities
After completing 4-year degree in psychology, one can work in:
- Health centers, schools, labor relations and training development and the government.
- More specifically, one can be employed as lecturer, school psychologist, Probation officer, Psychologist in Special Education or Personnel Psychologist in ISSB.
- There are a variety of jobs for psychologists in social sector NGOs.
- With a higher degree (M Phil /MS) in Psychology that requires, research, writing and practice, one can work in universities,research organizations, hospitals, and counseling / rehabilitation
Scheme of Studies
BS 4-year Psychology program offers the following scheme of studies:
||27 Cr. hrs
|General Education Courses
||24 Cr. hrs
|Foundation and Major Courses
||73 Cr. hrs
||6 Cr. hrs
||130 Cr. hrs
- Lab & Practicum
- Field Projects/work
Intermediate certificate with minimum 45% marks
Applications are evaluated on the basis of previous academic record and written test or Interview.
DR. IFTIKHAR AHMAD